The Morgan dollar, named after designer George T. Morgan, was minted from 1878 to 1904 and again in 1921. When silver reserves purchased under the Sherman Silver Purchase Act were exhausted in 1904, the mint stopped striking the Morgan dollar. The 1918 Pittman Act authorized melting and recoining silver dollars, and in 1921 mintage of the Morgan resumed for one year. A huge quantity of Morgans were discovered at the mint in the 1960s. Collectors started buying large amounts at face value using Silver Certificates. The Treasury held a sale in the early 1970s of dollars minted at Carson City (CC). These coins have always been highly desirable to collectors and the general public. High grade certified Morgans make good investments.