The Shield Nickel was designed by James B. Longacre. The coin was minted from 1866 to 1883, it was then replaced by the Liberty Head nickel. The coin gets its name from the design on its obverse, and was also the first five cent piece referred to as a nickel. That was because it was made from copper nickel unlike the half dimes which made from silver. This coin basically rendered the half dime as obsolete. The design was somewhat based on the look of the two cent piece, however it was difficult to mint. Thus the “rays” on the coin were removed in 1867. The coin has a very nice look to it and is a favorite among the smaller denominations.