The United States two-cent piece circulated from 1864 to 1872 was produced by the Philadelphia Mint of the United States for circulation from 1864 to 1872, and for collectors in 1873. It was designed by James B. Longacre, and was discontinued by the Mint Act of 1873. The obverse design by Longacre is of the Great Seal of the United States. His design focused on the shield, which was portrayed as a weapon, showing strength through unity. The upper part of the shield, symbolized Congress, and the thirteen stripes represent the states. It was made of 95% copper and 5% tin and zinc, had a diameter of 23 mm and weighed 6.22 grams.