The Washington quarter was designed by John Flanagan and it began being minted in 1932. They were made of silver and continued to be struck in silver until the Mint switched to a copper-nickel clad composition in 1964. That year the dime and half dollars also changed from silver to the clad composition. Another contest was announced in 1973 for a new design on the reverse to commemorate the 200th anniversary of the United states. The winner of the contest was Jack L Ahr. In addition to the recognition of having a design that would be used on a United States coin, $5000 was awarded also.